Porcelain veneers are a great way to improve your smile and confidence. They can mask a range of cosmetic flaws from tooth discoloration to misshaped teeth. However, patients should know that veneers will not last forever.
The lifespan of porcelain veneers is about 10 to 20 years. With proper care, patients can preserve their veneers for as long as possible.
When it does come time to replace your veneers, we can help. At Brookfield Family Dental, Dr. Thomas Tang offers the most effective cosmetic dentistry treatments, including porcelain veneers replacement. Contact our Brookfield, WI practice to schedule your treatment appointment with us.
Reasons for Veneers Replacement
Porcelain veneers are made of durable porcelain materials designed to withstand the average pressure of chewing, biting, and drinking. However, they can crack, become discolored, or shift out of place.
Veneers may need to be replaced due to:
- Biting down on hard food or inedible objects
- Trauma from a fall or injury
- Teeth grinding
- Receding gums
- Tooth decay
- Tooth wear and tear
- Poor or insufficient bonding
- Improperly sized veneers
- Discoloration or stains
- Unsatisfactory cosmetic expectations
The Treatment Process to Replace Veneers
Replacing a veneer is similar to placing a new one. If there is no severe damage to your teeth, then the replacement process should be complete within two visits to our office.
Here are the typical steps:
- Removing the old veneers: Your dentist will carefully remove the veneer and dental cement, being careful not to damage the natural tooth underneath. No additional enamel will be removed.
- Preparatory procedures: If any restorative work is required, it will be completed before the veneers are placed.
- Preparing the teeth: Next, we will prepare the tooth’s surfaces by removing any residual bonding material. This will provide a proper fit and help the veneers bond successfully.
- Impressions: Next, molds are taken of the natural teeth. These impressions will be used to construct your final veneers.
- Temporary restorations: While your porcelain veneers are being fabricated, we will apply temporary restorations for you to wear in the meantime.
- Final placement: Once your porcelain veneers are ready, we will bond each of them individually to your teeth.
We cannot stress enough the importance of proper maintenance to prevent damage and extend the life of your new veneers. Porcelain is one of the longest lasting materials in restorative and cosmetic dentistry, making veneers a great investment. With the right care, they can last decades.
Here are some of the most effective maintenance tips:
- Avoid eating hard foods and non-food items.
- Chewy and sticky foods will strain the veneers.
- Brush, floss, and rinse daily.
Porcelain veneers are impervious to cavities; however, the natural tooth structure underneath is still susceptible to decay. In addition, veneers collect plaque and tartar just like natural teeth. If you neglect your oral health, there is a chance your veneers will need to be removed and replaced.
Many consider porcelain to be stain resistant. It will deter stains far better than alternative materials, yet there are still food and drinks that can discolor the veneers over time. Eventually, they will no longer match the surrounding teeth. For this reason, we recommend consuming dark-colored foods and beverages in moderation.
Contact Us Today
Porcelain veneers are meant to increase your confidence and improve your smile. A broken or flawed veneer can distract from the rest of your smile. Porcelain veneer replacement is an excellent solution. Contact us online or call us at 262-207-4867 to schedule your appointment.