Adult tooth loss can cause patients to feel self-conscious about their appearance and make eating difficult, leading many patients with missing teeth to hide their smile and give up their favorite foods. If tooth loss is keeping you from smiling, treatment for missing teeth may be right for you. There are many options to replace missing teeth and restore dental function. General dentistry treatments can get oral health back on track so you can smile with confidence. To find out which treatment for missing teeth is right for you, schedule a consultation with Brookfield, WI dentist Thomas Tang.
Replacing Missing Teeth with Dental Implants
Those who are missing one or more teeth may benefit from dental implant treatment. Dental implants are a permanent option for replacing missing teeth and improving oral health. Dental implants are small titanium posts that are surgically placed in the jawbone. Each implant acts like a natural tooth root, providing secure replacement of missing teeth.
Candidates for dental implant treatment should be healthy enough to undergo surgery, have relatively healthy teeth and gums, and be non-smokers. Candidates for dental implant treatment must also have sufficient jawbone to support the implant. If the jawbone is inadequate, a bone graft may be performed to rebuild the jawbone.
Dental implants can be used to replace one or more missing teeth using different dental restorations, including:
- Dental crowns: Dental implants can be used to replace individual teeth when paired with dental crowns. Those who are missing one or two teeth often benefit from dental implants paired with dental crowns.
- Implant-supported bridges: For those who are missing three or more teeth, dental implants can be paired with implant-supported bridges to replace multiple teeth with one restoration.
- Implant-supported dentures: For those who are missing a full arch of teeth, dental implants may be paired with implant-supported dentures. Implant-supported dentures anchor within the mouth using three to five dental implants, allowing denture wearers to enjoy their favorite foods without the need for messy adhesives.
Non-surgical Options for Replacing Missing Teeth
There are non-surgical options to replace missing teeth, allowing anyone who suffers from tooth loss to enjoy restored dental function. Those who are not suitable candidates for dental implants, or those would rather not undergo surgery, may consider the following treatments:
- Dental bridges: Traditional dental bridges may be used to replace multiple teeth, which is why they are sometimes called partial dentures. Traditional bridges consist of two dental crowns joined by one or more artificial teeth. The dental crowns are attached to the adjacent teeth, restoring dental function and appearance.
- Removable dentures: Traditional removable dentures remain a common option for the replacement of a full arch of missing teeth. Each traditional removable denture is custom-crafted for a comfortable fit and natural appearance.
Discover Your Treatment Options
Don't let tooth loss prevent you from living your best life. There are many options for replacing missing teeth and restoring oral health. To learn more about your treatment options, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Tang.