Tooth decay and dental injuries can expose the nerve and pulp tissues within the root canal to bacteria, resulting in painful infections. Fortunately, root canal infections are treatable. Root canal therapy is highly effective at treating root canal infections and eliminating dental pain. Root canal therapy can be paired with general dentistry treatments to improve your oral health and keep it on the right track. To undergo root canal therapy with Brookfield dentist Thomas Tang, contact us today.
The Root Canal Therapy Procedure
Root canal therapy can alleviate the pain of root canal infections and restore dental health. During the root canal therapy procedure, any decayed or damaged portions of the tooth are removed, leaving behind healthy portions and allowing access to the root canal. Once the root canal is accessed, the infected nerve and pulp tissue are removed from the tooth. The tooth is then cleaned and a dental filling or porcelain crown is placed to prevent further damage to the tooth.
What Are the Benefits of Root Canal Therapy?
If left untreated, root canal infections can lead to severe pain, facial swelling, and even tooth loss. In some cases, root canal infections can spread to the jawbone, leading to painful, pus-filled abscesses. You don't have to suffer with a root canal infection. Root canal therapy can help. Here are just a few of the benefits patients can expect to experience with root canal therapy.
- Stop the pain of root canal infections: Root canal therapy removes damaged tooth nerves, which helps to end the pain of root canal infections.
- Eat and drink without pain: Without a damaged tooth nerve to cause pain, you'll be able to eat and drink comfortably again.
- Prevent abscesses: Abscesses can occur when a root canal infection spreads to the surrounding tissue. Abscesses may develop around the tooth roots or they may make their way out through the gums. Root canal therapy can clear up root canal infections before they spread to form abscesses.
- Prevent further damage or decay: Root canal therapy combined with general dentistry treatments, like tooth-colored dental fillings, can help stop tooth decay or other damage from progressing.
- Prevent swelling caused by root canal infections: Root canal infections can cause the face or neck to swell. By treating the infection, root canal therapy can prevent facial or neck swelling caused by root canal infections.
- Prevent bone loss caused by root canal infections: Root canal infections can cause bone loss within the jaw. By treating root canal infections, root canal therapy can help prevent this type of bone loss.
Find Out if You're a Candidate for Root Canal Therapy
If you suffer from root canal infections, root canal therapy can help relieve dental pain and improve the health of your smile. To find out if you're a candidate for root canal therapy, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Tang.